The internet has been a boon to mankind. Today, everything relies on the internet. Whether it is education or security, the internet has become a basic necessity. Nowadays, every piece of information is just a click away.
But, with perks come disadvantages. When people are using the internet to gain knowledge and accomplish their online tasks, some websites are ruining their security as well as privacy. These websites consist of adult and malicious content that badly affects the user’s mindset. Moreover, they have various links that are a threat to the security of the user. But, thankfully, Netgear routers provide the facility to block access to certain internet sites. So, if you are an owner of a Netgear router, don’t worry! Here, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide using which you can block access to internet sites by accessing the routerlogin page. Continue reading.
Steps to Block Internet Sites on Netgear Router
- Power Up Your Netgear Router
- Plug your Netgear WiFi router into an electrical socket.
- Press the Power button.
- Wait for the power LED to glow solid green.
- Connect Router and Modem
- After the power LED on your router stabilizes, create a connection between your Netgear router and the modem.
- You can connect both WiFi devices either wirelessly or using an Ethernet cable.
- Access the Netgear Router Login Page
- Switch on your computer or laptop.
- Launch an internet browser.
- Go to the address bar of the internet browser.
- Type routerlogin net into it.
- Press the Enter key.
- The Netgear router administrative page will come into view.
- Log in to Your Netgear Router
- Enter the default login credentials your Netgear wireless router.
- Click the Log In button.
- You will be taken to the Netgear Genie dashboard.
- Block Websites
- On the Netgear Genie dashboard, select the Advanced menu.
- Click the Security tab.
- Navigate to the Block Sites option.
- Select one of the Keyword Blocking options displayed on the screen:
- Per Schedule: It blocks the keyword (website) according to the Schedule settings. It means you can block access to the website for a specific period.
- Always: It turns on the keyword (website) blocking permanently. It is independent of the Schedule.
- In the Keyword field, type the keyword or the domain name that you wish to block.
- Click the Add Keyword button.
- The keyword or website will be added to the keyword list.
- Click the Apply button to bring keyword blocking into effect.
In this way, you can block access to certain websites with the help of your Netgear router login.
Blocking access to websites from the Netgear router is a simple process. However, some users are unable to do it successfully. If you don’t want to be one of them, take care of the following points while disabling access to harmful websites:
Tips to Successfully Disable Access to Websites
- Whichever connection mode you’ve chosen to connect the extender and the router, make sure that it is stable. Otherwise, it will result in poor internet speed preventing you from disabling harmful websites.
- The default login details of your Netgear WiFi router are case-sensitive. A small typing error can halt your access to the router login page. Thus,be aware while typing the default username and password so that you can disable access to websites in a hassle-free manner.
- The web browser you are using to block access to websites should be updated and free of cache, cookies, and browsing history.
This was all about how to block access to certain websites from your Netgear router. We hope that you will be able to do so with the help of the aforementioned steps and surf the internet in a safe manner.